This is a great article about how the UK continues it strong tech momentum, with start-ups raising £6.3B in 2018.
Key highlights include:
- UK exits, including IPOs and acquisitions totalled $40bn
- Landmark UK flotations include Farfetch, Funding Circle, Orchard Therapeutics
- Sales and IPOs worth $119 bn since 2013
- The US achieved $136bn of deals and IPOs in 2018, while European sales and IPOs added up to $107bn
- Europe’s 10 biggest exits included UK-based Farfetch, Sky Betting & Gaming and Zoopla
- The UK’s tech sector continued to make a strong contribution to the economy in 2018, with 75% higher productivity in UK tech compared to the whole of the UK economy and people working in jobs requiring digital skills are paid on average £10,000 more than non-digital roles
The UK also had a landmark year for exits: achieving sales, IPOs and mergers worth $40bn, more than every other country in Europe including Sweden, the source of Europe’s single biggest tech IPO in 2018.